Ajo (aw.hoe).... The Town That Time Forgot

  


This small town of less then 2000 people is truly amazing and I fell in love love with it immediately. The more I explore what it has to offer... the more in love with it I become.


It lies ten miles from here in Coyote Howls and Why and to the nearest grocery store..(.as we have only a gas and goody store here) Also Ajo has a Family Dollar and Dollar General which has become our new Walmart so to speak. It also has the beauty shops,rock shops,second hand stores and restaurants and a number of art galleries. Have not explored all that it has to offer but intend to at some point. The major part of the city is in the town square which is white adobe Mexican styled buildings which include more art galleries,post office,coffee shop and churches. You would swear that you were in Mexico.


What I love about this town is that it hold within its boundaries such a mix of people all getting along
which amazes me in this day and age. Everyone has been so kind to us and it makes my heart melt. It is so very hard to find communities like this and we just stumbled into it. Cannot really see moving any
where else....when all that I ever wanted is right here.


I have to say this town looks as if I walked into the movie BACK TO THE FUTURE as it looks like a 1950s town..and if the cars were of that vintage..what a place this would really be. Most of the houses are tiny WW2 homes that people repair instead of tear down. Not too many new homes....YET..... but I am sure that will change in the future. So here you have the ambiance of the town and kindness of the people making at least me feel that I have walked into the past. Other people have mentioned that as well ...even young people....lucky I am to have found such a wonderful area.


Many of the buildings in town have been turned into works of art by locals...and what great art it is. Seems as if the town itself...the buildings is an art gallery. When my camera is repaired will take pix of this great place.
It does seem as if something is always going on in Ajo....festivals,swap meets,farmer markets,theater,dances ...and why not...it is rarely cold in this area...like today ...78 degrees and holding. Something to be happy about with blue skies and sun. ( summers are a little too hot though and need a swamp cooler..as we intend to stay.) Still the dreariness and cold and snow of winter is not a part of the cooler months....and I have to tell you that I am glad for that.


A big thing going here is the CSA...community supported Agriculture which we are now apart of. This group is trying to get people to grow organic food and reestablish growing food once was native to this area. Pete and I have for years been into organic food...growing what we could where we could but we are also interested in the edible plant life that sustained the Indian population here for hundreds of years. Will be learning how to grow or harvest these foods and learning how to prepare and cook them. When we joined for ten dollars they gave us two huge bags of mulch and all the seeds we wanted besides at our disposal for how toos and other questions and think this is so worthwhile .


This whole area is interested in protecting the native plants and animals here as this kind of desert is so sensitive to contrasting environments and other species of anything that could destroy what is here.
I have to say I am behind them and want to protect the Senora desert....a truly different and magical place.
I have not explored all that is here in this area but will keep you posted when I find new and wonderful things.....oh yes like the fact they grow pomegranates here and make different products from them including salted caramels(yummy )........Pete and I both love to explore places and feel sure this will give us lots to do.
Till next time ..be good and I love you all

Comments

  1. What fantastic find for you two. Bet you will have a great Xmas there with such a fab community...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my dear friend...this is an amazing place and just love it...so rich with the Mexican influence....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pyramid in Senoran Desert

changing places

Life Goes On